Sunday, May 8, 2011

Banquet

After my workout, I took my first island shower of the summer so I could be clean for our dinner party we had planned for tonight. Tonight is the last night of the last totally empty weekend of Open-Up. After this point there will be many volunteers every weekend. Volunteers are great, but we wanted to take the moment to celebrate having so few of us around.

We made plans to make the night special. Annie provided tablecloths and candlesticks, Maggie brought the music, I picked some fresh flowers. We all dressed up and Jason chauffeured us in the golf cart. The only thing we didn’t plan for was the food part of dinner.

Everyone pitched in to make food, guided by Johanna, our resident kitchen goddess. So we put together a full meal in our “nice” clothes. My nice clothes haven’t arrived yet, so I was wearing a hot pink strapless dress that I borrowed from Annie. Our menu for the night was gin and tonics, guacamole, champagne, tofu stir-fry, and homemade kimchi from Grace’s mom.

It was a quintessential Pelican event, the aesthetics planned meticulously but the event not thought through all the way, leaving out many important steps in the planning, and yet somehow everything turns out amazing anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment