Today we had our first rain that I've been here for. It's been remarkably clear for the past few days, with a view all the way down to Cape Ann. But the rain rolled in mist that hid the entire mainland from view, giving the impression that we're floating alone out here. Our own little flotilla of islands.
It's Tuesday, so I've been on island for 5 days now. The trip up was fun and far easier than I expected, the boat ride out was smooth, and in those five days I already feel like I've been here a month.
The adjustment back to island life has been pretty easy. We've had running water for a few weeks now, so that hasn't been such a problem, though some of the bathrooms aren't totally functional yet. And the little lifestyle changes - going to bed at 11, always wearing shoes, not carrying a phone - those I've slipped right back into. We even had my first fire alarm last night (the second one of the season).
For the past several weeks the Open-Up crew has been working on un-winterizing the island, taking the shutters off the windows, fixing everything damaged in winter storms, cleaning, and generally preparing for the arrival of the conferees. The first conferences start on June 12, so we've got about a week and a half. I spent the weekend digging the desk (really it's a big, old-fashioned, wooden bar) out from under all the sheetrock dust from recent construction, dusting and polishing the wood, and taking stock of the supplies we have left over from last year. Julie, last year's supervisor came out to teach me the ropes of running the desk on Monday.
Volunteers came out over the weekend to help us clean and fix the rooms, but now the thirty or so of us living here have the entire 46 acre island to ourselves. It's a low key night, we'll probably watch a movie or play some cards. Watch the sunset, and have an early night to prepare for the big inspection tomorrow.
Edited: 6/3/10
No comments:
Post a Comment